Sunday, January 19, 2020

DO BETTER 2020 - Race #5
Cock-a-Doodle-Shoe 10k Snowshoe Race
Sunday, January 19, 2020


Well, that was grueling in just about every way possible.

First, I drove to my hotel outside Plattsburgh last night during the storm. Fair weather travel time 2.5 hours, last night took me just under 4 hrs. Nothing like doing 40-45 mph for 150 miles of highway...

Then this morning I thought I remembered how to get from registration to the start, and ended up doing over an extra mile before finally following the group to the start. So I'm going to estimate I'd covered at least 1.5 miles in addition to the race... I should have had the GPS going.

The race was itself had great snowshoeing conditions. Unfortunately the last time I snowshoed in great conditions was probably when I ran this race back in 2018. As I said to a newbie before the race, even after 15 years it never fails to surprise me how hard I have to work to go so slow. This was mostly a hiking event for me. I was tempted at several points to cut the course short and declare a DNF, but I did manage to keep myself going (albeit slower and slower as the miles added up) and finally finished.

Now we'll see if my legs recover enough for Tuesday's 5k at Gore... right now they feel rather like someone spent a couple of hours beating them with hammers today.

(On the plus side, clear roads all the way back...)

JMH
 

2020 Event Totals
Run 16.1 mi, 3 hr 23 min
Bike 0 mi, 0 hr 0 min

Snowshoe 9.1 mi, 3 hr 0 min
Kayak 0 mi, 0 hr 0 min

states visited: NY