Monday, May 11, 2020

Steep Endurance VERTual Challenge Part 1:
10.1 Mile Run on the Albany County Rail Trail
Monday, May 11, 2020

 
 
So what is the Steep Endurance VERTual Challenge? In a nutshell (emphasis on the NUTS) it means trying to accumulate some elevation over the course of this week's runs, starting today and going through next Sunday. Now I'm not under any illusion that I'm going to be competitive with the majority of folks doing this, but it's an opportunity to push myself to do more hills this week, help the Steep Endurance folks who are taking a financial hit due to cancelled races, and (you guessed it) get a medal for my efforts. A medal will get me almost every time...
 
Today I decided to try running somewhere I haven't before - I've run all of the rail trail from Voorheesville to the bridge over the Vloman Kill, but never mile and a bit from that bridge to the S Pearl St trailhead. Originally I thought I'd do about 6 miles total (which would have me turning around a little bit after the steeper parts ease off and the uphill grade becomes very gentle) but then a combination of the rainy weather keeping the path much less crowded than normal and my failure to run a 10-12 miler this past weekend convinced me to go out to the 5 mile mark before turning back.
 
JMH