Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Black Creek Park DIDN'T Kick My Butt
10 mile trail run
Monday, February 20, 2006

Black Creek Park info

Black Creek Park is fairly close to Ann's house, and is one of the nicest of the Monroe County Parks. In the summer the trails are fairly busy with walkers; in the winter they see a lot of use for XC skiing. The trails are a mix of woods and fields.

Black Creek has also typically kicked my butt every time I've run there. Admittedly, the 5 mile loop that covers the park perimeter should have been challenging back when I was typically running maximum distances of 5-6 miles, but last summer I did an out-and back perimeter run (run most of the perimeter one way, then turn and go back the other way) and the heat and humidity clobbered me. So in some ways, as much as I like Black Creek, it's something of a running nemesis for me.

Yesterday I set out to do the same perimeter out-and-back, confident that the heat and humidity wouldn't be a problem (windchill, on the other hand, was a concern... so I packed a variety of gloves and headgear.) The trails were nice - some mud, some ice, but lots of fun to run. Didn't see too many people - always a plus. The last half hour was challenging, just because I've been a lazy slug for 2 weeks and only run once (so a 2 1/4 hour run was challenging!) But much of the run felt pretty darn good and I can honestly say that, for once, Black Creek did not kick my butt!

Of course, the Greylock 8 mile snowshoe race on Saturday will be another story... if it happens (I'm not holding out much hope for that.)

In any case, it's definitely time to start extending my long distances and building my medium distance (12-15 miles) base... Nipmuck is only 3 1/2 months away!

JMH