Thursday, June 29, 2006

Lots of Water Along the Indian Ladder Trail
Wednesday, June 28, 2006

photo slideshow

After running both the Greylock Trail Half Marathon (OK, maybe running is a misnomer for that one) and the Summer Solstice Run in the space of 4 days last week, my legs were left feeling pretty fried. Combine that with heavy rains yesterday and this morning, and I made an easy decision to go to Thacher and see what the Indian Ladder Trail waterfalls were looking like. If nothing else, I figured I could get in a relatively easy hike as part of my recovery.



Water was blasting over both waterfalls much like it was a few weeks ago, when I ran along the escarpment and wished I'd brought a camera to get pictures of what are usually trickles of water going over the cliffs. Combined with a nice sunny day and few people in the park, it was a great walk along the trail - very peaceful and great scenery. Too bad Ann couldn't be here to enjoy it...





Afterwards I walked back along the escarpment and spent a while watching the turkey vultures gliding on the thermals. There were close to a dozen of them at one point, soaring back and forth effortlessly... a few flew close enough that I could actually make out the red on their heads. Very cool.



JMH