Monday, October 16, 2006

RIDING IN THE DARK
18 Miles Along the Mohawk-Hudson Bike Path
Monday, October 16, 2006

With the Black Diamond Duathlon coming up next weekend, I knew I needed to put more time in on my mountain bike - so after work I headed over to Railroad Station Park in Niskayuna (along the Mohawk River) and took the path over the Colonie Town Park (about a 10 mile round trip.) Chilly but nice riding. For one short stretch I passed a rollerblader and then had him drafting off me for about a quarter of a mile - at least, I assume that's why he stayed right behind me as I hammered my way up the slight rise! (Or maybe he wanted to race...)

By the time I got back to the park, my lights were necessary, more to make me visible to others than for me to see. I was feeling pretty decent and having a good time, so I decided to head over to the base of the old landfill, about another 8 miles round trip. The further I went, the more my light became necessary... riding in the dark takes some getting used to! Of course, it helps to be on a wide, paved path. Stopped to grab a drink at the turn around - and discovered that my headlight's low battery warning was on. (That's what I get for not changing the batteries before I left!) So I hustled back to the car, hoping the whole time the light wouldn't die on me (it didn't.)

Riding at night can be somewhat nerve-wracking but at the same time, it is very peaceful and on a clear night, quite beautiful. Here's hoping I can get in a few more night rides before ice makes the bike path too hazardous!

JMH