Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Brief Visit to Kanakadea Recreation Area
Sunday, October 21, 2007

On the way down to Wellsville I passed an area in the dark that looked rather interesting... there was clearly some type of body of water (from the mist rising off it) and something that might have been a waterfall overlooking it. So on the way back I decided to stop, check it out, and give my legs a stretch.

It turned out to be Kanakadea Recreation Area, essentially a Steuben County park. It had a number of picnic sites, many of which were occupied on such a warm sunny afternoon, and a large lake with a viewing platform. The "waterfall" turned out to be a dam.







I walked around, very slowly, for a bit, enjoying the sunshine, the warm afternoon, and the brilliant colors of the autumn foliage, but clearly Kanakadea would be better enjoyed via a canoe or kayak (in fact, I saw some paddlers out on the lake as I was wandering around.) So after a bit I got back in the car and made the rest of the drive back to Rochester, arriving just in time to meet Ann coming back from her EMT conference in Syracuse.



JMH