Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunshine. Riding. BRRR!
20.2 Mile Ride Along the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Sunday, November 18, 2007

photo slideshow

When I ducked my head out the door after lunch to check the temperature, it felt fairly pleasant... as in "bike shorts, a long-sleeved jersey, and a windbreaker" pleasant. Fortunately, I played it safe and wore tights, and brought along an extra jacket, because it was a bit less comfortable when I started riding. In fact, by the last few miles I was really wishing I'd worn winter gloves and two pairs of thermal socks, as my fingers and toes froze...







My goal was to ride from the Niskayuna Lions Park over to Cohoes Falls and back. My hope was that all the rain we had at the end of the week would result in some decent water flow over the falls (for much of the year, the water to the falls is diverted into the Barge Canal and through a hydroelectric plant, resulting in a nice view of the rocks with a few trickles of water.) And as it turned out, that was indeed the case!




click on picture for a larger view

Along the way I saw a few deer, who weren't quite sure what to make of me, at least long enough for me to get some photos of them.





And when I stopped at the Colonie Price Chopper to pick up a few supplies, I was ambushed at the edge of the parking lot by a tough gang of ducks, who apparently are used to extorting food out of innocent victims who pass their way... but not me! I dazzled them with the flash from my camera and beat a hasty retreat! (Actually, I was worried that if I fed them, they'd jump in my car and come home with me rather than stay in the crappy little pond next to the parking lot.)



A chilly ride, but a good one... it felt great to be outdoors moving again!

JMH