Sunday, February 24, 2008

HARD-TRAVELLIN' TURTLE
1 WEEKEND, 4 STATES, 3 RACES
PART 1:
Albany, NY to Adams, MA
(65 miles)
Saturday, February 23, 2008


OK, a quick refresher - earlier this week Josh Merlis, one of the guiding lights and all-around-lunatics of the Albany Running Exchange, sent word around that he was organizing a trip to the three snowshoe races this weekend - Greylock, Kingman Farm, and Moody Spring. I had toyed with the idea of running all three previously but had dropped Kingman Farm from the list because it would be a long distance to go for a 5k race... but Josh's e-mail challenged me to re-evaluate that. (Stupid Turtle taking over... sigh.) Which is why 6 AM Saturday morning found me not only packing for the Greylock 4 mile snowshoe race, but for a weekend of travelling all over the freakin' place.

The drive to Greylock was uneventful, other than the fact that I skipped my usual rest stop at McDonalds (last chance to use a real bathroom before the race) because I was running a bit behind schedule. No worries in the end - I reached Greylock Glen in plenty of time. Though it was a bit intimidating to find Mighty Greylock hidden from view behind low-hanging clouds...

JMH