Monday, April 07, 2008

9.3 Mile Ride at the Corning Preserve
Monday, April 7, 2008

Even though today is a recovery day from yesterday's efforts (my legs are definitely grumbling about running 9 hilly miles) the weather was just too nice to stay indoors, so I took a bike down to the Corning Preserve figuring I could get in about 10 miles or so on the bike path.

It was a bit windier and definitely chillier than I expected, but no big deal. The river was pretty high - right up to the edge of the bank in numerous places, and there were signs that sections had been flooded not too long ago. I rode out to the Watervliet parking area and then took the path back to the Albany waterfront.

About a mile out of the parking area, someone pulled up next to me on his bike and just started talking up a blue streak about bikes and riding in general. Turns out he was on mile 80 or so of a 100 mile ride and was using the path as a good way to get in some safe miles. He ended up riding with me all the way back to the waterfront, then headed off along the river when I stopped back at my car. It was a little bit bizarre, but he seemed nice enough, and he definitely knew his stuff where riding's concerned.

On our way back we passed one of the fields between the path and I-797 where the Corning Preserve deer were gathered.. 5 in all. They've gotten pretty used to people - didn't even move when I stopped to take pictures.

JMH