Friday, October 31, 2008

12.6 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Friday, October 31, 2008

After a week where I did more to increase my resemblance to Jabba the Hutt than I did to improve my conditioning, I finally got off my backside and got out on the bike on my way to Rochester. Good thing, too... as I was riding I remembered that the upcoming switch back to Standard Time means any riding I do after work for the next few months will be in the dark... sigh. Since I've given all my lights to Ann to help her stay safe during her commutes to and from work, I guess I'd better order some more...

Felt good to be out riding after four days of inactivity, even if it was substantially chillier than earlier in the day... it cools down fast as the sun sets. I rode most of the bike path west of Schenectady in the short time I had available, out and back from Lock 8. Wood ducks and Canada geese on the old canal, and plenty of continued signs of beavers (but no sightings, unfortunately.) I also startled three deer who were at the edge of the path... took them a moment to figure out what the bizarre thing approaching them was (deer always seem puzzled by me when I'm on a bike...) but then they bounded off into the bushes. Looked like a doe and two mostly-grown youngsters.

A major change that's taken place over there is the rampant clearing of bushes and small trees along the sides of the path, especially from the Rotterdam Kiwanis Park over to Scrafford Lane. What used to be a wonderful bush and tree lined corridor is now wide open, I suspect because it's also a power line right of way... looks like they took a Hydro-axe and just mowed down everything in sight. At least I hope it was the power company that did that... if it was the folks who manage the bike path, they're idiots, because it definitely detracts from the overall scenic beauty (for example, the stretch from the Rotterdam Kiwanis Park to Rt 5 now has a totally clear view of the road the entire way... previously the bushes and trees provided a nice buffer and help you forget there was a fairly busy road a few hundred feet away) and also leaves less habitat for birds and small animals. Oh, well.

JMH