Friday, July 10, 2009

What a Loon!
15 mile Ride at the Corning Preserve
Friday, July 10, 2009

Spent much of the day getting stuff ready for Ann coming into town... but once she called to let me know she was leaving Rochester I took some time to head down to the Corning Preserve for a bit of riding. Did an out-and-back between the two parking lots at something just under race pace (averaged about 13 mph) with no stops for photos or anything else. OK, that hurt... I haven't spent nearly enough time riding this year, and I've only been out on the Dawes twice now since I snapped a spoke last summer, so my legs were cramping and grumbling in all sorts of places. I think I'd best do a few more of those sessions before the Presque Isle Du at the end of July...







After that I did some easy riding down to the Albany Riverfront Park at the river end of the Hudson River Way bridge across 787. Stopped to snap a photo of a lone duck floating out on the river - and it turned out to be a loon! I certainly wasn't expecting to see one of those out of the Adirondacks! Then I did some easy riding out to just past the 2 mile mark in the Corning Preserve, with a harder push back to the parking lot (because it was getting late and I wanted to make sure I got back home before Ann got here.)





JMH