Thursday, August 20, 2009

14.6 Mile Ride Along the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Thursday, August 20, 2009



A short ride, mainly because I was slow getting my backside in gear and had limited time before I had to be at the karate school to help with classes. But it may have been just as well... my legs were feeling the effects of last night's run much more than I'd expected. That may make some of those decisions I mentioned a few days ago a bit easier to make...







Spotted two wood ducks in the water off the boat launch at the start of the ride... managed to sneak up on them and get some nice shots, but once I was fully in view they took off down the river. A bit further along I saw an egret, and there was a heron near Lock 7 who was surprisingly placid about my being there. The swallows were swooping around like crazy at the base of the old landfill, and there was a decent-sized flock of cedar waxwings zipping around in some of the bushes on the way back to the Lions Park.







(I just realized I should have ridden up the path over the old landfill and back down, to mark 3 years since I crashed coming down that hill, in mid-August 2006... there's an unpleasant memory. Wear a helmet if you're riding, folks... I know mine saved my melon that day.)



I was a bit surprised to see a lot of rabbits out, given that it was still pretty early in the evening and they've always seemed to be more active near dusk. Then again, maybe I have no clue how many more bunnies were out and about an hour or two later...











JMH