Wednesday, November 11, 2009

8.3 Mile Run in the Pine Bush
Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Since I had the day off from work, it was a rare opportunity to go out for a weekday run in the daylight... so I headed over to the water tower trailhead planning to put in 8 miles or so on the Pine Bush trails.

Knee felt pretty good for the first 4 miles or so, then ached a bit for much of the rest of the run. I ran a section of trail I don't usually go on, and actually spotted a hunter perched in a tree - good thing I was wearing a florescent yellow jacket. I think I briefly spotted one deer - hopefully he didn't head over toward where the hunter was!

Definitely a pretty good afternoon on the trails, and it gives me some hope that I may be able to complete the Dirt Cheap Stage Race out in Rochester this weekend. Three races over 2 days, all at Mendon Ponds park - a 3 mile Saturday morning, a 5.5 mile Saturday afternoon, and then an 11 mile Sunday morning. Tomorrow will be the real test - if my knee feels decent during the day, then I can probably handle two days of races, though I suspect they'll leave me sore and very tired, given how much I haven't been running recently. Attempting the Stage Race probably isn't the brightest thing I've ever done (and I could make quite a lengthy list of "not the brightest things I've ever done") but I'm already signed up for it and it strikes me as a good challenge to begin winding down the 2009 running season.

JMH