Thursday, November 19, 2009

8.6 Mile Run in the Pine Bush
Thursday, November 19, 2009

When I stepped out the door tonight into light rain I wondered for a bit if I should have gone running last night after all, even though it was a bit colder. Fortunately, the rain never got any heavier than a light drizzle... and there are times when I actually enjoy a bit of challenge from the elements. Visibility wasn't great, even with my headlamp, but that wasn't a big deal, since I know most of the trails I ran tonight extremely well. At least the rain meant I was very unlikely to run into anyone else out on the trails!

I had intended to run about 6 miles, but ended up heading out on the mountain bike trails adjacent to the Great Dune section of the Pine Bush, which added more mileage than one might initially think, mainly because the riders tend to switchback their trails to get the longest loops possible in any given area. I was also surprised to run on some trails I'd never been on before - apparently they've been busy building a new loop. I have to admit, there were times when I didn't think those loops were ever going to end (and in the dark I didn't dare bushwhack to cut them short.)

My knee felt pretty good for the first 3-4 miles, then ached quite a bit after that... hopefully as I get back into shape I can extend that distance as my legs regain some of their former strength and endurance.

Didn't really spot much wildlife until the end of my run, when I first startled a group of deer that looked like they had settled in for the night in the grass along a section of the power lines, then a second group in the woods. I also spotted a the eyes of a small critter that did its best to hide in a brushpile, probably a flying squirrel from the size of it.

I ended my run sore and tired... I will be very happy when I get back to the point that an 8 mile run isn't as challenging as it is now. Like I pointed out on Monday - getting back into shape hurts. But that beats the alternative...

JMH