Friday, November 20, 2009

$#@**$*!! Software "Upgrades"...
Friday, November 20, 2009

Back in June my e-mail and dial-up ISP released an "upgraded" version of their interface, which I foolishly installed despite the fact that the previous version had been working fine for everything I need it for. Since then it's caused me numerous headaches, including a crash that wiped out all of my e-mail folders and put years worth of messages into one folder, then duplicated many of them when I tried to restore it to the previous state. Tonight it crashed again, except this time it left the program data in a state where I can't even open the program, even after restarting my PC.

The good news is, uninstalling the upgraded version restored my "classic" version of the program, complete with e-mail messages. The bad news is, none of the messages I've received since the upgrade were stored under the old software, so I've lost approximately 5 months worth of e-mails. I can use my backups to regain a few months of those, but only if I return to using the newer version of the program, which is what caused me to lose the messages in the first place. Aaargh!

Hopefully there's nothing in the past few months worth of messages that I'll need going forward...

JMH