Thursday, March 25, 2010

1.7 Mile Walk at Ann Lee Pond Nature Preserve
Thursday, March 25, 2010

Originally I had planned to ride today, but it was grey and chilly when I finished work and my legs were feeling a bit fried... so instead I headed over to Ann Lee Pond to see the sights. Lots of birds around... there were robins, red-winged blackbirds, starlings, grackles, and possibly even a few brown cowbirds right near the parking area and flocking in the orchard across the road. Only spotted two ducks in the pond, and no geese until it was almost dark. There was also a kingfisher chattering away, but I could only catch slight glimpses of it as it flew from spot to spot.

I started out walking the open shore of the pond near the parking area, then headed through the fields along the north shore back to the crazy bridge, which at least did not get any crazier this winter. As I crossed the bridge there were a couple of muskrats swimming in the shallow water - given that the water looks to be less than a foot deep, I don't know how they managed to submerge and hide, but they did... maybe it's deeper than it looks. From there I walked back into the woods toward the beaver pond, and repeatedly heard wood ducks squawking as they flew off, though I didn't actually see any. Didn't see any beavers either, in part because it was getting darker and I didn't go very far since I hadn't brought a light. That turned out to be a good choice, because on my way back to the car it started raining lightly. I'll have to wander back there another day and see if I can spot the beavers.

JMH