Wednesday, March 24, 2010

MUSKRATS & MOONLIGHT
6.6 Mile Run on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tonight was definitely muskrat night along the bike path... I must have spotted a dozen or more swimming in the water, and even one right up in the grass along the path munching intently on dinner... so intently that he didn't scurry away when I stood there taking pictures.

The water was even higher than last weekend when I rode my bike over there - portions of the construction road parallel to Ferry Road were actually submerged, which must be a hassle for the workers trying to build the new Ferry Rd bridge.

I got off to a late start, so it was getting dark by the time I reached Lock 7 Road, and I was surprised to see my shadow on the path under me... when I finally looked up, there was a bright half moon shining in the sky. I should have realized it, since last week the moon was a waxing crescent, but instead it was a nice surprise - I love running on moonlit nights. It almost made up for the fact that it was too dark to see very much (like the water roaring over the Lock 7 dam.)

JMH