Saturday, November 19, 2011

TURKEYS & DEER... AND OBNOXIOUS CHILDREN...
2.7 Mile Walk at Five Rivers EEC
Saturday, November 19, 2011

Well, so much for my plans to head down to CT early today, visit one or two parks, and run the trails at Bluff Point and Haley Farm. By the time I finally got my backside in gear it was clear I wouldn't reach anyplace in CT until shortly before dusk, so I decided to get in a rare winter daytime walk at Five Rivers.

The turkeys were once again right by the Visitors' Center - I guess they really appreciate the easy pickings at the bird feeders. I had to resist the temptation to get some cracked corn out of the car - maybe another time when there aren't as many people around. From there I walked down to the ponds - not much to see at either today, it was too early for the geese and beavers, and too cold for turtles and frogs. On the way up the hill from the far end of the Beaver Pond I startled a deer in the middle of the path - there must have been something tasty there, because he hung around until a walker coming from the opposite direction scared him off.

Walked back through the fields and around the various ponds - heard a few birds but didn't see much. Spotted several groups of mallards out in the water, paddling around looking for food. As I headed back along the edge of one of the fields I also saw several hawks flying over the field, and half a dozen deer in the old orchard. While I was watching them a couple of kids walked through and apparently decided to try to sneak up on the deer, but then gave up before they spooked them, fortunately.

The turkey were closer to the parking lot, so I walked over and watched them for a bit before heading back to the car. I was surprised when two of them flew up into the spruce trees near the Visitors' Center - perhaps they heard the yelling kids coming. Walked back over with my camera to try to get some shots of them up in the trees (always an odd-looking situation to me!) and watched as one of the kids started chasing the turkeys still on the ground. He kept it up long enough that I finally growled at him to stop chasing the turkeys. His sisters came along and looked about to do the same thing, but finally the parents caught up to them and seemed more interested in getting them to the car. As they were walking away the remaining turkeys flew up into the trees - can't say as I blame them. I don't even really blame the kids for their poor behavior, since it's the idiot parents who are at fault for not keeping their kids under control and educating them in proper behavior.

JMH