Friday, December 23, 2011

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, DUCKIES!
0.8 Mile Walk at Buckingham Lake
Friday, December 23, 2011

My walk at Bauer Park was short enough that I wanted to get outside for a bit longer before heading home (and then on to Rochester) so I picked up some cracked corn when I was buying dinner and stopped at Buckingham Lake to feed the feathered food vacuums. They have definitely learned to recognize that bag = food, because when I got out of the car they started swimming toward the shore and were on land to greet me and get their share of corny goodness.

After I'd handed out the half a dozen cups of corn, I did a quick walk around the pond. Just after I started a group of ducks came flying in - I wish I could have gotten it on video, because it was very impressive, especially when they hit the crosswind over the water. Looks like the city has been working on the section of trail that washed out back in early September - they've added some stone dust over the rock base and piled topsoil along the edge of the water. Unfortunately all the rain over the last couple of days left it a muddy mess, but at least they're working on it. As I got back to the car, dozens of crows were going overhead, off to wherever they're going to roost tonight.

JMH