Thursday, August 02, 2012

2.5 Mile Walk at the Crossings of Colonie
Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another day of intending to get out on the bike and ending up going for a walk instead... since I had errands to run nearby, I decided to wander around the Crossings of Colonie for a bit. It was quite strange to get there well before dusk... it also wasn't the best day if I was looking for peace and quiet, because they had a band performing in the big gazebo near the barn.

The wet areas were mostly dry, only a few puddles... even the main pond was really low, and the water near the shore was covered with a pretty nasty layer of green slime.

Lots of birds around, as usual... I even saw two kingfishers, though they seemed to be hanging around the pond between the park and the nearby Beltrone Living Center. Conspicuous in their absence were the red-winged blackbirds... last summer I noticed that they all seemed to disappear at about this time, and it looks like it's a yearly thing I just haven't picked up on before. I'm planning to ride on the bike path tomorrow... have to keep my ears open and find out if they're gone from there, too.

JMH