Sunday, August 05, 2012

ALMOST BEAT THE RAIN...
13 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rain this afternoon - at last! Too bad it wasn't about four hours earlier, it would have been a welcome relief during the races, at least for me. Once it had let up for a while and I'd rehydrated and was feeling human again, I decided to take the bike out for an easy ride. Not too many people on the bike path (no surprise, given the rain earlier and the threat of storms later.) I did spot a couple of herons, as well as a group of deer that included several youngsters... but the real treat was a turkey hen and her three "chicks" (they were almost as big as her) that darted across the path ahead of me just west of the Colonie wasterwater facility.

I stopped on the way back to the car to take some pictures of the river from the vantage point near the old railroad bridge... and while I was there heard a rumble of thunder and felt some rain drops... so I ended the ride with a 15-16 mph sprint back to the car, in hopes of beating the worst of the rain. I was mostly successful... only got a little bit wet instead of totally soaked.

JMH