Thursday, March 07, 2013

More Abuse To My Honda Civic
Thursday, March 7, 2013

When I stepped outside to go to work this morning I found the back window of my Civic completely spiderwebbed... still intact, but that ended the moment I opened a door and sections started falling into the back of the car. Unfortunately I was running behind schedule so there was no time to do anything about it... I drove to work, tossed a towel over the outside to protect the interior a bit, and headed in to my classes.

Fortunately our fantastic facilities manager rustled up some plastic and duct tape for me, so at lunch time I was able to seal it up - just in time too, because in the afternoon we started to get some very wet snow flurries. I also submitted a claim online and scheduled an appointment for Saturday to have it replaced. Fortunately I have full glass coverage as part of my insurance, so it's not going to cost me anything other than time and the hassle of getting it fixed (and minimal driving in the meantime... rear windows aren't meant to be covered in plastic sheeting.)

As to what happened... while the suspicious side of me wonders if a pattern is emerging (I had a side mirror smashed late last fall) the fact that none of the glass had been knocked into the car leads me to think it was random stupidity. There were two rocks near the curb where I was parked that weren't there when I parked the car (I remember noticing that the street sweeper had been through) so I would guess either some moron was throwing rocks and accidentally hit my window... or some moron was throwing rocks and deliberately hit my window. Regardless, it's another thing to deal with during an already aggravating week... Saturday morning I'll need to clean out the back of the car (including cleaning up the shop vac I used to pump sewage out of my basement a while back so I can vacuum up as much of the broken glass as I can) before I take it to Safelite to get the window replaced at lunch time. Fortunately there should still be time to get in a run Saturday afternoon... after a week which has been an almost complete washout in the outdoors department.

JMH