Wednesday, June 15, 2016

HARRIED BY A BLACKBIRD...
1 Mile Walk at Buckingham Pond
Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Stopped for a short walk at Buckingham Pond on my way back from running errands, and was greeted by the sight of a group of ducklings, oddly with no mother duck in sight. A walk around the pond brought me to the geese and goslings, all of whom are getting big and have their colors coming in.

Probably the most unusual things about my walk was several encounters with a male red-winged blackbird who had previously attacked my umbrella when I was walking there a week and a half ago. Tonight he went after me - whenever I walked through a particular area he dived past my head, close enough that I could hear the swish of his wings. I have to assume he has a nest right nearby, but I had no luck spotting it - there are a couple of bushes and it's a bit distracting to have a bird diving past your head squawking. I got a couple of pictures of him and then decided it was best to stop upsetting him.

JMH