Friday, June 03, 2016

Slow & Steady 2016 - Race #11
Twilight 7.4mi Trail Run
Friday, June 3, 2016

Spent a good chunk of the week thinking I'd skip tonight's race and just head straight to NH for tomorrow's du... but in the end I decided I wanted to go for it, so I spent much of the afternoon on the road to Groton and arrived at Bluff Point a little over an hour before race time... plenty of time to get a decent parking spot and get set up to run.

Some runs you're a gazelle practically floating over the ground... doesn't happen often for me, but a lot of the time I don't feel like I'm pounding the ground. Tonight I was not only a rhinocerous hammering along, but someone had filled my legs with concrete. It was a struggle from start to finish, and once again I spent the last two miles being tailed by the bicycle sweep. And I definitely ran harder than I'd planned on... not a good idea, with a du coming up in a little over 12 hours...

And yet, despite all of that, I'm glad I did it... there's just something I really enjoy about this run.

Of course, jumping in the car immediately afterwards and driving non-stop for a little over 2 hours to my hotel was probably not the best way to recover afterwards.

Interestingly enough, when I checked the results later I discovered that Amby Burfoot, running great, running journalist, and author of one of my favorite running books, also ran the race tonight. Of course it only took him 2/3 the time it took me... but regardless, I ran a race with Amby Burfoot, how cool is that?

JMH

2016 Event Totals
Run 101.1 mi, 25 hr 24 min
Bike 21.5 mi, 1 hr 40 min

Snowshoe 6.2 mi, 1 hr 39 min
Kayak 0 mi, 0 min

states visited: CT, MA, NY, RI