Saturday, June 04, 2016

Slow & Steady 2016 - Race #12
Rye-by-the-Sea Duathlon
Saturday, June 4, 2016

OK, this morning came way too early, and I proved without a doubt that I'm not in shape for running a 7.4 mile race on Friday night and then a 5k/27k/5k duathlon Saturday morning. The first run was a struggle and had me considering stopping... but I came to du, so that's what I did. The ride felt decent at first, but turned into a major torture test as the miles rolled on. The only thing the 2nd run had going for it was the fact that once it was over I was finished. And it only took me 10 minutes longer for the whole shebang than the last two times...

At the same time... the ride along the seacoast is gorgeous (when I actually picked my head up to look) and I love the mile or so of the run that winds through what the locals refer to as the conservation area... gorgeous, shaded dirt trails through the woods.

One more race to go, because there is no way I'm doing the evening race in Portland... not only is it supposed to rain for much of the day (bleah) but I doubt my legs will have any running left in them by then... the 5k in Sanford tomorrow morning is going to be struggle enough, and after I finish crawling around the course I think I will be ready to head for home.

JMH

2016 Event Totals
Run 107.3 mi, 26 hr 39 min
Bike 38.5 mi, 3 hr 0 min

Snowshoe 6.2 mi, 1 hr 39 min
Kayak 0 mi, 0 min

states visited: CT, MA, NH, NY, RI