Sunday, July 31, 2016

WET, WETTER, WETTEST
Slow & Steady 2016 - Race #25
Indian Ladder 15k Trail Race
Sunday, July 31, 2016

Thirteenth time I've run Indian Ladder since first doing it in 1998. Minor changes in the course that's been used since 2000 (I think... I know the race was run out of the Hailes Cave picnic area in 2001) mostly due to trail re-routes, though the RD did add a new bit toward the end this year that took us out of the field (now home to Thacher Park's mountain bike skills course) and onto some Long Path single track before the last half a km dash to the finish.

It was raining steadily when I left the house and never really let up until after I'd finished. I'd like to think that's why I ran my slowest time yet, though even if it hadn't been the Year of the Flood I probably would have been slower than in the past. Lots and lots of water on the trail. It was interesting to watch people trying to avoid the puddles for the first mile or so (after that there were no other runners in sight.) I mean, come on - it's pouring rain, you've set out to run either 3.5 or 9.3 miles on trails in that pouring rain, and you're worried about walking/running through puddles?

The folks I felt a little bad for were the volunteers, standing around in the rain for as long as it took me to get past their positions - when I could run that course totally unmarked. But then I did find out there were four newbies (who I'd assumed, based on the comments and the previously mentioned attempts to avoid puddles, were doing the short race) a couple of minutes behind me, so just as well those good folks were out there.

I do wish I'd thought to bring along my waterproof camera to get some pictures of the trails... it was definitely a different experience than the usual Indian Ladder trail races.

JMH



2016 Event Totals
Run 187.8 mi, 45 hr 55 min
Bike 67.3 mi, 5 hr 3 min

Snowshoe 6.2 mi, 1 hr 39 min
Kayak 1.5 mi, 20 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI