Sunday, January 29, 2017

11.8 Mile Ride on the Albany County Rail Trail
Sunday, January 29, 2017

Tough riding on the rail trail but at least I was able to ride. Plenty of snow on the stretch out to Voorheesville, but all frozen - and postholed like crazy from all the folks who'd walked there while the snow was mushy. So the ride was very rough and at times slippery. It was definitely a plus to get to the end of the trail- at least the ride back to Slingerlands is mostly downhill, and I had the wind at my back.

The paved trail toward Delmar was initially clear but fairly quickly developed patches of ice. Still, it was easier riding than the first 8 miles. Just after the bridge over Delaware Ave it looked like the path turned to more ice than pavement - rode onto it a short distance and started to skid, so I decided it was a good time to head back to the car.

The brakes are definitely working better now that I've adjusted them. I also swapped a triple crank for the single and platform pedals instead of the MTB pedals and toe clips I'd been using. The pedals were definitely easier to use; didn't have any reason to change which chain ring I was using, which is just as well since there's no front derailleur.

JMH