Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Walk in the Pine Bush
Wednesday, March 12, 2008

photo slideshow

Since I'm still working on coughing up one or both of my lungs, I didn't think even a short run would be a good idea, especially since afterwards I needed to teach a sword class over at the karate school. But the evening was too pleasant to just stay indoors, so I headed over to the Pine Bush Discovery Center and the Karner Road Barrens for a short walk.

As I've driven past the Discovery Center it's been clear they're doing major work there, but I could never tell exactly what. Now I know! They've torn up the old parking lot, and shifted visitor parking a little ways away, and they seem to be building something, possibly some outdoor learning areas, where the old lot was. They also have installed a much fancier path from the lot up to the trails - I suspect the goal is to eventually make the trailhead handicap-accessible.



I started out by heading to the hilltop, hoping to get some nice pictures of the sun and the clouds. During the early part of my walk a storm rolled through and dropped a few light snow flurries, though later on the sunset developed some nice colors as the sky partially cleared.





There were a surprising number of icy patches - if I'd known I'd have worn my screw shoes! But I made it through without any mishaps.



One of the unfortunate realities of the Pine Bush is that the NYS Thruway cuts right through it... so no matter where you are, there's always the background noise of Thruway traffic. That's one of the things I love about getting further away, like up at Thacher. Still, being in the woods with traffic noise in the background is better than not being in the woods at all.



One of my favorite sections, a set of trails through a hardwood forest and hardwood swamp, was closed for habitat restoration... meaning they're tearing out everything that's not a pitch pine. Once again, I understand the importance of preserving and restoring the Pine Bush ecosystem in those areas... but I'll really miss those woods, they were a fun cool shady place to run.





It was getting a bit darker and pretty chilly by the time I got back to the car - guess it is still March after all - and I was running up against needing to get to the school to get ready to teach, so I called it a hike and headed out. Being sick sucks... being able to get outdoors helps a little, though.

JMH