Monday, September 24, 2012

FALL OR AUTUMN... WHATEVER YOU CALL IT, IT'S HERE!
2.7 Mile Walk at Five Rivers EEC
Monday, September 24, 2012

Of course, we all know that autumn "officially" arrived on Saturday morning, during the autumnal equinox - but the clearest sign of the changing seasons came to me tonight, when I decided to wear long pants for my walk at Five Rivers. Other than for work, I can't recall the last time I wore long pants... sometime back in May I suspect.

Another sign of course is the ever decreasing hours of daylight that I lament very year around this time.

Nothing unusual at Five Rivers, just a few bunnies, deer, and of course lots of birds. The itchy duck mob was splashing around in the Heron Pond, and I briefly saw the resident heron at the far end of the Beaver Pond until he decided to fly off. A flock of geese landed on the Beaver Pond just as it was getting dark, and two of the beavers were out and about. I also spotted a bat fluttering around - I'm guessing it's harder to find bugs to eat with the chilly weather, which is too bad - our bats need all the breaks they can get right now.

I did hear some howling and yipping when I got back to my car - sounded like it was off past the DEC center up the hill, and I really couldn't be sure if it was coyotes (my hope) or just dogs at one of the houses over that way.

JMH