Sunday, September 23, 2012

I Miss...
Sunday, September 23, 2012

... well, lots of things, actually, but the particular thing I was thinking of this evening was a race I ran back in 2005, the Jordan Alpine Classic.

Here's the description from the race page, way back then -

If you want a real challenge in the fall and don't mind getting muddy and wet, run the Alpine Classic at the Jordan Fall Festival. It's an endurance test. After the traditional cannon start, runners climb over steep hills, maneuver through woods and fields, and wade across a stream. They even climb a 12-foot vertical bank using a 1-inch thick rope. Mid-way in the race, the course goes down a very steep path, similar to an expert ski trail. It is recommended by some you don't run this part, but rather just sit down and slide. The race ends at the Jordan Fall Festival grounds near the original Erie Canal towpath.

The Alpine Classic started out as part of the Elbridge Country Fair, running from 1980 until the fair closed down in 1992. Two years later it was ressurected as part of the Jordan Fall Festival, which is how I ran it in 2005. I missed it the following year, and I believe it vanished from the Festival schedule in 2007, apparently due to needing an RD. A version of the race reappeared in 2009 - with a good deal more road running and some not nearly as scenic trail segments - it was a nice run, but not the blast that I remember from the 2005 course. Since then it has been gone from the schedule, I suspect for good.

I found myself thinking about the Alpine Classic tonight because I drove through Jordan on my way home, not realizing that it was the weekend of the Fall Festival - while everything had wrapped up by the time I was there, it still brought back good memories of the race back in 2005. (Yes... an 8.5 mile run up and down muddy hills in the rain provides good memories. Go figure...)

JMH