Tuesday, September 25, 2012

WALKING IN THE MOONLIGHT
2.3 Mile Walk on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gave up my plan to go for a run tonight - too tired and hungry once I got home from school. So instead I ran a few errands and then stopped at the Niskayuna Lions Park for a walk on the bike path.

One plus to the earlier sunset - fewer people on the bike path when I go there at 7 PM! In fact, I only saw one gal on rollerblades and a bit later I was passed by a small group of cyclists buzzing along in the almost-dark.

Didn't see much wildlife (it was getting dark after all!) but I did hear plenty of geese and ducks and even a few squawks from herons. In fact, the only critter I saw was a bit unusual. Recently the town laid pavement from  the bike path to the road right near the Niska Isle bridge, so I decided to walk down to the road and see if they had provided any sort of parking as well. About three quarters of the way there I noticed a light-colored object alongside the path a ways ahead, which then lifted its head - it was a skunk with a very large stripe of white. I retreated, he retreated, and we were both happier for it. Too bad it was too dark for pictures...

The half moon was a bit mirky at times, probably because of the warm front that was moving through (and providing some very pleasant temperatures - unlike last night, tonight was a shorts night.) It's really too bad I was too tired to run... it would have been a nice time under the running in the moonlight on the bike path. But tonight's walk was pretty darn pleasant too.

JMH